On-Farm Food Safety/Wholesale Success Training Workshops Available for
Small to Mid-Acreage Produce Farmers
April 29, 2013 – We are pleased to announce the opportunity to bring an On-Farm Food Safety/ Wholesale Success training workshop to your network of produce farmers. For the past five years, FamilyFarmed.org and on-the-ground partners have trained thousands of growers across the U.S. on how to better meet wholesale buyers’ expectations for product quality, consistency and food safety.
Workshop participants will learn about:
• Proper pre/post-harvest handling techniques
• Maintaining the cold chain
• Cleaning and drying
• Packing and grading
• Developing relationships with buyers
• Food safety best practices
• Needs of wholesale buyers
FamilyFarmed.org will work with your organization to customize the workshop for your fruit and vegetable growers. Through this program, we will:
• Provide participating farmers with our recently updated 312-page technical assistance manual, Wholesale Success: A Farmer’s Guide to Food Safety, Selling, Postharvest Handling, and Packing Produce
• Conduct a workshop, based on the manual, that is presented by our seasoned farmer/trainer Atina Diffley
• Provide continuing assistance to participants who want to complete a customized food safety plan using our free, online on-farm food safety tool (available in English and Spanish).
Who do we partner with to provide these trainings?
• Wholesale/institutional buyers • Food hubs and packinghouses
• Non-profit organizations • Farmers markets
• University Extension offices • Departments of Agriculture • Farmer Cooperatives/Auctions
For more information about our workshops, including financing/grant options, please contact James Pirovano. We anticipate applying for several federal grants in the coming weeks so please don’t delay!
Our fantastic trainer, Atina Diffley on why wholesale is so important: